The Kansas City VA Medical Center is seeking a BC Chief of Dermatology for our complexity Level 1b tertiary care facility. The department maintains a close relationship with the University of Kansas and there are teaching and research opportunities available.
The selected candidate should be familiar with Dermatology procedures, biopsies, treatment, medications and IVs. The physician will assist the Medical Center to develop an effective and thriving program in teledermatology. Teledermatology will comprise approximately 20% of practice with possibility of future growth. Practice intention will be to manage a major share of dermatology consultations from Wichita and as many as possible from other VA facilities in the VA Heartland Network (VISN 15) Western Orbit. The physician will also provide guidance to rotating Residents, Fellows, and Medical Students on rotation from the University of Kansas School of Medicine. Highly qualified candidates are needed to lead, give direction, provide knowledge, skills and abilities in the Dermatology field and train other professional staff in the dermatology section. 3-5 Year's leadership experience preferred.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
Clinical: ProvideDermatological patient care to our veteran patients. This would includeprescribing medications, performing minor surgical procedures, biopsies,laboratory requests, and seeing patients in an inpatient and outpatient clinicsetting. Assist in tele-dermatology along with other providers for the WichitaVA patients. Follow-up with patients as needed.
Teaching: Provideguidance to rotating Residents (IM and Derm), Fellows, and Medical Students on rotationfrom University of Kansas, School of Medicine. Skills needed would be to lead,give direction, provide knowledge, skills and abilities in the Dermatologyfield and train other professional staff in the dermatology section.
Administrative:Completes encounters in a timely manner. Attendshospitals assigned committees, section meetings, and other administrativefunctions. Prepares and submits monthly, quarterly, semiannual and annualreports concerning this department, maintaining accurate data on allprocedures. Prepares and updates the policy and procedure manual for thedepartment that complies with JCAHO guidelines. Medical advisory opinions, andreview of tort claims.
- LICENSURE: 1 Full and unrestricted license from any US State is permissible to work at this facility
- CME: $1,000 per year stipend for reimbursement + 1 week paid authorized absence to attend
- MALPRACTICE: Liability protection with tail coverage provided
- ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS of up to an additional $15,000:
- NO PHYSICIAN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACTS and thusly no significant restrictions on moonlighting in the community
- FACULTY APPOINTMENT at University of Kansas
- PROCEDURES: Biopsies, treatment, medications, etc. The physician will assist the Medical Center to develop an effective program in Teledermatology (flexible) and teaching residents from K.U.
- DEPARTMENT STAFFING: Number of provider staff in the department: 2 Dermatology FTEE (1 vacancy), 1 NP, 1 RNmanager, 1 RN coordinator, 5 LPNs, 2 clerks, + 3 residents assisting
- OFFICE HOURS: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, M-F
- CALL: No Call / No Weekends
- OFFICE ARRANGEMENTS: Private office in clinic and 5 exam rooms
- ADMINISTRATION TIME: 1/8 - 2/8 administration time in addition to 1/2 each week for education
- EQUIPMENT: Special medical/procedure equipment: State of the art telemedicine and surgical equipment
Whether you’re interested in academics, research, or a better work/life balance, you’ll find the VA has a lot to offer, including the unmatched satisfaction you’ll get from caring for those who have served our country. In addition to competitive pay and liability protection, the VA also offers a robust benefits plan.