The Behavioral Health Service Line at the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System (VAPHS) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania seeks BE/BC Adult Psychiatrists.
All Psychiatrists shall provide outpatient care remotely to VAPHS community based outpatient clinics as well as to other VISN VA's and Community based outpatient clinics, and also to distant VISN's. Psychiatrists are ultimately responsible for all aspects of psychiatric care. The telemedicine psychiatrist will conduct evaluation, psychopharmacology, psychotherapy, supportive, and problem-solving sessions generally in Tele-Mental Health (TeleMH) visits via remote video connection. The psychiatrist will use recommended communication measures in TeleMH visits. Psychiatrists will use VA computer charting proficiently to review patient notes and to document all calls and visits. The psychiatrist will be familiar with differing safety and emergency protocols for the remote sites at which patients in TeleMH visits occur. The psychiatrist will use established professional principles in maintenance of panels, including cross-coverage arrangements, and termination procedures and documentation.
Must be a United States Citizen
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation – unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Federal holidays per year with pay
- 10 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses (subject to budget availability)
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available.
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years’ service
The VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System is an integrated healthcare system that proudly serves the Veteran population throughout the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. It is our mission to care for America’s Veterans and provide them with excellent health care.
The VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System consists of three divisions: a major medical and surgical tertiary care facility, a behavioral health facility, and a community living center and a Veterans recovery center, all complemented by five community based outpatient clinics.
The city of Pittsburgh has been repeatedly ranked as the most livable US city by such publications as The Economist, Places Rated Almanac, and Forbes Magazine. The VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System offers a unique opportunity to practice in a leading US medical community within an affordable and thriving city.